By Clifford Agugoesi, Editor-in-Chief
In the latest of the International Institute of Communication(IIC’s) popular series of webinars focusing on the response of regulators and industry across Africa to the COVID-19 pandemic, the spotlight turns on East Africa on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 1700 EAT / 1400 GMT, a heads-up from the Director-General, of IIC, Lynn Robinson confirms.
By examining the national strategies adopted to guarantee continuity of essential services, protect lives and reduce the negative impact on the economy, the IIC will also seek to probe how the actions of regulators and policy makers might inform and facilitate future modernisation of current regulatory frameworks.
Consider these: Will industry obligations continue? What does the ‘new normal’ look like from a policy, regulatory and commercial perspective?
WWW.CYBERERA.COM.NG understands that the IIC is assembling an executive level panel of regulatory, industry and NGO experts from East Africa to continue discussing the re-start agenda:
- Highlighting initiatives taken during the pandemic – what changes in policies / regulations have been pursued as a result of COVID-19?
- How to close the digital gap? What needs to be done to make digital technologies more accessible and affordable at a national level?
- Prospects for the digital economy and digital transformation in the region – what is needed to make real progress?
- How will the momentum of urgency and creativity driven by COVID-19 be maintained and built upon to ensure participation in the digital revolution?
Speakers will include:
- Executive Secretary, East African Communications Organisations (EACO) Dr Ally Y Simba
- Acting Executive Director and Director, Engineering and Communication Infrastructure, Uganda Communications Commission, Irene Kaggwa Sewankambo
- Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Safaricom, Stephen Chege
- Head of Government & Policy Affairs Middle East & Africa, Nokia, Dr Brahim Ghribi
- Deputy Executive Director, Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF) Annette Ssemuwemba
To be chaired by the 2020 BEREC Chair and Director General, Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (PTS), Dan Sjöblom, attendees will find this event a veritable opportunity to engage with regional experts.
The event requires registration and interested fellows are advised to contact the organizers.
“We very much welcome questions from the audience after the panel have finished speaking and we would request that you submit your questions in advance by email. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am GMT Monday 18 January,” stated Ms Robinson.